- Echo Dot. We are living in the future here at my house, thanks to my dad. He sent us an Echo Dot for Christmas, which means I get to say things like, “Alexa, play Sturgill Simpson,” and his voice magically fills the kitchen. Or I can say, “Alexa, play Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer,” and Conway Twitty’s twang makes my boys giggle. The thing I like best about Alexa is that she seems pretty reliable. I hooked her up to my Bose speakers and she stays connected…my iPhone required fumbling around to find music and then fumbling around to connect it to the Bose. I haven’t looked into her other features yet, but, so far Alexa, you are peachy.
- Avacodos in smoothies. I’ve started paying a bit more attention to my nutrient and my calorie intake. And while smoothies usually end up being pretty high in calories, I’ve been enjoying them the past couple weeks. My old stand-by is an avocado, banana, organic cucumber smoothie with coconut water, ice chips, and vanilla protein powder. My newest love is avocado, banana, almond butter, cacao powder, coconut water, and ice chips. I might a little maca powder, bee pollen powder, or chia seeds to either of those…
- Jillian Michaels: No More Trouble Zones. Okay, last week I praised 30 Day Shred (also by Jillian Michaels.). But the super cold temps we’ve been having here in Colorado meant all of my working out was indoors, so I revisited the “NMTZ” work-out…and it is WAY harder than 30DS. I will be using both to help get me in shape for my big trip to Mexico in January.
- Thai Beef Bok Choy Bowl. Oh CSA, how I love thee. I was looking for a quick dinner to use up some of CSA produce, and stumbled up this beef/book choy bowl. I have to say, I wasn’t sure that I would really like it, but man the final product was delicious! I substituted several of the ingredients (I didn’t have Thai chili paste–I just squeezed in some lime juice and added a little bit of minced jalapeno pepper). I would make it again for sure.
- Alone. When I edit photos, I’ll often have mindless tv shows on in the background. Design shows are great, Pretty Little Liars worked well, and now that I’ve stumbled upon the History Channel’s Alone show, I will be binge-watching that while editing. So good! Ten men (why no women?) alone in the woods trying to survive using the 10 (or however many items that they’re allowed) items they’ve brought from home… The first season was filmed on Vancouver Island, which since I am obsessed with mountain lions, I happen to know it has the highest concentration of cougars in all of North America. I can’t even go for a walk alone in the CO woods due to cougar fears…being alone on Vancouver Island?! Yikes! If it weren’t for predator fears, I think I’d do pretty good on a show like that.
- Better Things. I stumbled upon this tv show and ended up watching the entire season in a day or two. I think I actually sat and watched the show (instead of multi-tasking with it on in the background). Louis CK co-founded the series and writes for it. Some of the topics are a little raunchy, but so much of it is dead on. I laughed. I related. I smiled.
- Standing Rock. Still sending out good vibes to ND. Even though we got some good news last week, one of my girlfriends was just there and she reported back that, “things are not as they seem.” I am a little skeptical of victory, so I will continue to send out good vibes.
- My baby is two! We celebrated his birthday Friday and then again yesterday. I can’t believe how quickly time marches on.
- The Krazy Coupon Lady. So I am not good at coupons. Like, I have a few on my fridge…and maybe I’ll even remember to grab one or two before heading to the grocery store. But then I’ll forget, and leave them in my car…and so on and so forth. But since I’d love to have more money in 2017, I’ve started researching options and iPhone apps. And I stumbled upon the Krazy Coupon Lady app (as well as Flipp, Cellfire, ShopSavvy, Grocery IQ, Favado, Ibotta…). We’ll see how it all goes, but I was made aware that today Amazon is selling Green Toys (the brand) for 50% off and I stocked up on a couple Christmas presents that I was considering getting anyway. So, we’ll see how it goes.
UPDATE FROM LAST WEEK: My kraut wasn’t that great. Too sweet for me. So I think need a bit more info to successfully ferment cabbage. If I figure anything out, I will most definitely share it here.